Sunday, August 2, 2009

Last Days in SE Asia






Sorry about the long delay on this. I wanted to add pictures and had limited internet access in Alaska (which you can read about in another post).
Day 13

Not a very exciting day. We flew from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. On the way to the hotel we did get our first glimpse of Angkor Wat but that was it for temples today. After checking in we took a little walking tour or the town and got some lunch. I then headed back to the hotel with a few others for an afternoon of relaxation. Sat by the pool and did nothing. I was truly on vacation. Then headed into town to have dinner at Dead Fish Pub. It was built over an old crocodile pit so the crocs are still there and quite alive. It was interesting. There were also some traditional Khmer dancers performing throughout the evening. Early bed because we were leaving at 4:15 the next morning for sunrise.


Day 14

The early morning was so worth it. Both our tour coordinator and our local guide said it was the best sunrise over Angkor Wat they had seen. It didn't look too exciting and then all of a sudden the sky just lit up. Breathtaking is about all I can say about it. We then toured Angkor Wat and several other temples that day. The architecture and carving skills from these buildings built between 900 and about 1400 were amazing. We spent the entire day out. For those who are curious, we went to Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom (including Bayon, the elephant terrace, the royal palace, and the leper king's terrace), Ta Prohm (where Tomb Raider was filmed), and several smaller temples. We watched sunrise from on top of Ta Keo. After, we went to dinner at a Korean BBQ place which was fun. Then headed to the bar to drink buckets. Literally, alcohol filled sand buckets. I felt like I was 21 again, but it was fun. I left much earlier than the others as I was getting up for an optional trip. It was a fun night.


Day 15

A few of us left early (although not as early as the day before) to go to Banteay Srei, a temple built for the Hindu god Vishnu. I had wanted to see it before arriving in the country so I was excited. The carving there is even better than at the other temples. And it is very well preserved. It was gorgeous and well worth the early morning after a late night. After that we saw Preah Kahn and Neak Pean. Back into town for a relaxing afternoon (I napped) before our last night in town. We went to a presentation at a local pediatric hospital given by it's founder, a Swiss doctor. It was interesting to see the work being done and the success they have. They have build 4 hospitals in Cambodia and do amazing work. Plus, the only non-Cambodians there are the physician we heard speak and the head of the lab and blood bank. Several of my group members even donated blood to help out. We had a late dinner at a traditional Khmer place then went to the night market. I got a few last minute souviners and then got an interesting pedicure. Small fish eat the dead skin off your feet. It was interesting and actually felt pretty good.


Day 16

Today was my last full day. We drove the the Thai border and then beyond to Bangkok. By the time we got there the royal palace and other sights were closed, so I just went to the backpacker area and wandered, checkmy my flights, etc. We had a farewell dinner at a very good Thai place in the same area. It was a nice way to end the trip.


It was overall a fantastic trip. I had a few injuries and the heat and humidity were dreadful, but I'd consider doing it again. I met some great people that will remain friends for a long time.


For those on Facebook, I have many more pictures there.

No comments:

Post a Comment